Scientific personals of Sikkim:
Scientist (Plant Breeding)
|NAME OF THE INSTITUTION/DEPARTMENT||
ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region Sikkim Centre
Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), DARE, Ministry of Agriculture, GOI, New Delhi
ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region Sikkim Centre, Tadong, Gangtok 737 102, Sikkim
03592-231030(landline), 9474352045(Mobile), Fax: 03592-231238
|ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION (AFTER GRADUATION)||
M.Sc.(Ag.), Plant Breeding & Genetics,95.70%(distinction),1997, Tamil Nadu Agrl.University, Coimbatore. Ph.D(Ag), Plant Breeding & Genetics, 95%(Distinction),2006, Kerala Agrl.University, Thrissur.
|ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION (IF ANY)||
Undergone Training on Application of Biotechnological Tools for Crop Improvement, Sustainable Management of Watershed and Agricultural Research management.
|FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION||
Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology
10 years Research experience in Breeding Field and Horticultural crops. 1. Junior Research Fellow, under M.S. Swaminathan, Research foundation, Chennai, from 03-07-1994 to 24-03-1995, Research-IPM Biopesticides-Cotton, Ground Nut & Rice. 2. Officer (Plant Breeding) under M/s SPIC Ltd.,Biotech Division, Chennai, 01-09-1997 to 30-10-1998, Breeding Long Staple Cotton & Seed Quality Assurance. 3. Research Associate (TNAU,Coimbatore), from 18-11-1998 to 30-03-1999, Inter-specific hybridization in Sesame. 4. Research Associate, NBPGR Regional Station, Thrissur, Kerala, from 31-03-1999 to 20-11-2001, Evaluation & Conservation of Genetic Resources in Agril-Horticultural Crop. 5. Scientist (Plant Breeding), ICAR, New Delhi, from 17-03-2003 to till date, Crop improvement through conventional and molecular approaches. Recently in Sikkim undertaking breeding works on rice, maize, black gram and mustard suitable for mid-hills of Sikkim, collection,characterization and conservation of local germplasm of rice, maize, finger millet, blackgram, rajma, rayo sag, chillies, rapeseed and mustard, chow-chow, pumpkin, ginger and large cardamom.
|BOOKS /BOOK CHAPTERS||
1. Karuppaiyan, R. and Nandini, K. 2006.
Techniques in Anatomy, Cytology and Histochemistry of Plants. Dept. of Plant
Physiology, College of Horticulture, Kerala Agricultural University,
2. Rahman, H. and Karuppaiyan, R, 2007. Application of PCR Techniques for Diagnosis of Bacterial and Viral Disease in Mithun. In: Sustainable Mithun Production for Economic Upliftment of Tribal Population in NEH Region, NRC on Mithun, Nagaland, 17 March 2007. pp 60-69.
3. Karuppaiyan, R. Avasthe, R.K. and Rahman,H. 2007. Principles and Methods in Organic Plant Breeding and its Applicability for Crop Improvement in Sikkim. In: (eds. Ngachan, S.V., Munda, G,C. and Ghosh, P.K ) Organic Farming in NEH Region. ICAR Res. Complex for NEH Region, Shillong.
4. Rahman,H., Bujarbaruah, K.M., Srivastava, L.S., Karuppaiyan, R., Avasthe, R.K. and Singh, M. 2007. Status of Ginger Cultivation in Sikkim with special reference to Disease Management. In: Compendium of Lead Papers for the DBT Interactive Workshop for the Generation of Network Programme on Management of Ginger Deseases and Pests in Northeastern and Himalayan Region, ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region, Sikkim Centre, Gangtok, 5-6 January 2007 pp. 35-47.
5. Avasthe,R.K., Rahman, H., Yashoda, P., Borah, R.R., Karuppaiyan, R. and Singh, M. 2007. Organic Farming in Sikkim
|RESEARCH PUBLICATION PUBLISHED|